The Myth of the Muttering Madman is a project in self-realization.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

The Zune censorship stew and Zen of Palm

There seems to be a fundamental clash between good engineering principles and marketing. We all see it time and time again in Technology and IT.

Take the new "iPod killer" from Microsoft. More details are leaking out about it now. We know it'll be called "Zune" and even what it'll look like. Microsoft has bundled WiFi with it, supposedly to communicate with MTV's Urge service. Looks like you might be able to connect to Sirius as well. How about a good hearty stew of US censhorship for all! Total BS if you ask me. Big Whoop - I'll be able to get the latest Hezbollah and Iran updates on my Zune. Yay free information! All it is at the end of the day is another avenue for big business to commoditise and censor information on the internet. I can't see how that's a good thing in the long run.

Take Palm on the other hand. These guys are at least trying to do the right thing (check out the Zen of Palm article - very good read). I respect the openess of this approach. They're providing thinner services. I don't have to buy into a bundle of crap that I don't need or won't use or will force me to give up my freedom of choice in the matter.

I will refuse to buy a Zune for the same reasons (and more) that I have refused to buy an iPod. There should be more people in the world like this guy.

No comments:

about me