The Myth of the Muttering Madman is a project in self-realization.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Good and Evil

Good and Evil are constructions to justify conflict.

Something is labelled evil if it opposes the person labelling it so. Likewise, good concords with the desire of the person labelling it so.

People who do something do it because it is good, that is, because it is what they want to do. Even the protagonist of a terrible act thinks it is good, because he does it. This means that good and evil aren't absolute.

If something conflicts with my desire, it is evil. If something concurs with me I find it good.

So good and evil are creations to justify and label this conflict.

Humanity is naturally inclined to conflict. Being born into the world we have only ourselves. This sense of self and this aloneness is what generates such conflict. It is the most basic fact of our existence. My relationship with the world around me is founded upon this sense of "me and the world". "me" takes precedence over the "world". And the conflict that ensues is labelled "good" and "evil" by me.

No comments:

about me