The Myth of the Muttering Madman is a project in self-realization.

Friday, March 03, 2006

Battery Programmers

Rows of restless balding programmers sit in tiny environmentally controlled pens stretching RSI'ed hands, laying beautiful little Perl modules, C++ headers and ancient Java-like objects.

We're moving to another floor in my office building soon, and I'm sad to say that the company I work for obviously thinks that putting people into smaller cubicles is going to emancipate a deluge of creativity. Watch "engagement scores" (simulate knife stabbing) shoot through the roof you silly, fat, over-paid twats.

I'm quite outraged, and as a sign of protest I am, from here on in, going to program standing up. Donald Knuth does it and so did Einstein. Viva la Rebellion I say. Screw The Man with their expansive "harbour view" desks who insists on a 9 to 5 working day and placing their "creative geniuses" in claustrophobic cubicles (and David, you're not a creative genius - you write movie scripts and average ones at that). Oh, and I'll play Kittie at an ear-bleeding level and simulate screaming metal chicks thrashing long black hair whilst playing air guitar. What can they do? Sack me?

Who's going to register www.programmer-lib.org.au first?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so program standing up, I;ve yet to see you do it.

Plus if you want to remain anonymous, don't use a name you're synonymous with.

Duhhhh...

snarkyboojum said...

Watch closer then - I've been giving it a whirl, and kneeling on my chair giving that a whirl to. Whirling and programming, WHIRLING AND PROGRAMMING my friend.

Anonymous said...

yes but it's not standing up.

I take everything literaly, especially the bible. And if you're not with me you're against me and my bad grammar!

Honestly, who starts a sentence with "And" and gets away with it?

about me